MSG William J. Crawford Memorial
"Any nation that does not honor its heroes will not long endure…” -President Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to the MSG William J. Crawford Memorial website! We are dedicated to honoring MSG William J. Crawford, a Medal of Honor recipient who resided in Palmer Lake, Colorado. As you learn more about the sacrifices made by MSG William J. Crawford, you will understand why we want to remember his selfless service and valorous acts from World War II. It is because of Veterans such as Crawford, that we are able to live as a free Nation.
As you look through this website, you will learn more about:
- MSG William J. Crawford, an amazing Veteran and citizen
- The MSG William J. Crawford Memorial project, and how the proposed memorial has been expanded to recognize all Veterans of the Palmer Divide region of Colorado
- The MSG William J. Crawford Memorial section will honor the sacrifice of Palmer Divide's only Medal of Honor recipient with a bronze sculpture adorning the center section.
- The Wall of Valor section will honor the heroic acts of valor performed by Veterans from the Palmer Divide region of Colorado
- The Freedom Trail (Paver Stone) section will pay tribute to the honorable service of Veterans connected to the Palmer Divide region of Colorado
- The ways you can participate with honoring all Veterans from the Palmer Divide region of Colorado, regardless of rank or branch of service
Our MISSION is to redesign, re-construct, and rededicate the Crawford Memorial which was originally built on March 26, 2001 in Palmer Lake, Colorado. The newly envisioned MSG William J. Crawford Memorial will be dedicated to honoring—first and foremost—the heroism of MSG William J. Crawford as Palmer Divide’s only Medal of Honor recipient.
Our SECONDARY MISSION is one of education. The MSG William J. Crawford Memorial will stand as a symbol of this region's grateful esteem for the honored sacrifices of our military Veterans whose service must never be forgotten. The MSG William J. Crawford Memorial will be dedicated to all military Veterans who have faithfully served their country and have connections to Palmer Divide, Colorado.
Our MOTIVATION is to upgrade the current memorial that was a joint effort between the Palmer Lake Historical Society and the Town of Palmer Lake, to a design that bears witness to the patriotism and devotion to duty of MSG William J. Crawford.
Shown below is a picture of the current Crawford Memorial (left side) and a sketch of the planned MSG William J. Crawford Memorial (right side).
The Crawford Memorial Committee represents an array of volunteer citizens from the Palmer Divide region of Colorado, who are trying to make our community better by honoroing MSG William J. Crawford, recognizing acts of valor performed by our local Veterans, and saying THANKS
to all Veterans in our community. Who we are:
- Tri-Lakes Chamber Foundation
- Towns of Palmer Lake and Monument
- Palmer Lake Historical Society
- Kiwanis Club of Monument Hill
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post #4051
- MSG William J. Crawford VFW Post #7829
- American Legion Post #911
- Friends of MSG William J. Crawford
- Family of MSG William J. Crawford
- El Paso County